Delhi Travel Guide
Delhi Basic Facts
Location: south of India
Population: 19.86 million
Language: English, Hindi
Currency: Indian Rupee
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30h
Area Code: 11
Administrative Division: New Delhi and Old Delhi
How to visit Delhi? For first-time travelers, you need some Delhi travel guide to help you make a great plan and enjoy a great holiday. Here, we select 10 useful Delhi travel tips for you.
1. Best Time to Visit Delhi: October to March
During this period, Delhi weather is at its best and you can expect a pleasant condition with cool and dry climate. December and January are in winter season, so if you travel to New Delhi in these months, you should take warm clothes such as padded jackets. In other months, you could wear breathable clothes like shirts and jeans.
2. Things to Do & Places to VisitPeople can visit many historical sites and exquisite buildings in Delhi, which is also the capital of India, so you can feel modern life at the same time.
3. How to Get to Delhi: Flight, Train, Bus, Metro, Tuk-tuk
As the capital of India, majority of foreign tourists could fly to New Delhi Airport and then transfer to other destinations. The most popular way to leave DEL is to take prepaid taxi, which is supervised by Delhi Traffic Police. People have many commuting choices within the city such as subway, bus, etc.
See more about Transportation in India
4. Paranthas is the must-try food in DelhiParanthas is a type of pan-fried, thick piece of unleavened flatbread that you must try in Delhi. Of course, there are other delicious food you can give a shot.
Below is Delhi travel guide telling other foods worth trying:
Thali: a traditional Indian food served on a round plate, including rice, flatbreads, yogurt, curry, vegetables and desserts.
Lassi: a type of yogurt-based drink.
See more about Top 10 Foods in India
5. Best Restaurants in Delhi
Karim’s: House No: 16, Gali Kababian, Jama Masjid Matia Mahal, Old Delhi New Delhi, Delhi.
Butter Naan, mutton stew, mutton burra are worth trying.
Veda: H-27, Tropical Buiding, Connaught Circus Sushant Lok Phase 1, Minto Bridge Colony,
Barakhamba New Delhi, Delhi. You can try roast lamb leg and garlic-Naan.
Gulati: 6, Pandara Road Market, New Delhi, 110003. You can try Chicken Methi, Rogan Josh,
Dal Makhani, Kakori Kebabs.
6. Where to Stay in Delhi – 25% choose GurugramBecause it is located about 10 km south of New Delhi and just 15 km from Indira Gandhi International Airport. The region also gathers a large number of multinational companies with developed economy. You can choose The Pllazio Hotel with the address of Plot No. 292-296, Sector-29, City Centre or The Oberoi Gurgaon with the address of 443, Udyog Vihar.
Also, there are 18% people choose Paharagan District because this area is a concentrated place for affordable hotels and not far from the attractions. Ajanta Hotel is great with address of 8647, Arakashan Road, Paharganj. Or Optimum Baba Residency with address of 42, Ram Nagar, Street No.1, Pahar Ganj 42.
A useful Delhi travel tip to bear in mind is that a comfortable hotel could help you better enjoy a good Delhi sightseeing.
7. Top Shopping Markets
Dili Haat: Dilli Haat, West Kidwai Nagar, Kidwai Nagar New Delhi, Delhi.
This is a folk handicraft village set up by Indian government, where bringing together textiles, crafts and food from all over India. There are also free cultural events to watch.
Chandni Chowk: New Delhi, Delhi
Visitors can find some cheap Indian ornaments and knitwear, but the quality is not good. The greatest pleasure of visiting this market is to watch all kinds of locals and their interesting way of life.
See more about
Other Things You Should Notice:
1. Holi (Feb-Mar) and Diwali (Oct-Nov) are the grandest festivals in India, surely in Delhi. You could join these activities after you learn their history and customs.
2. You can bargain all stuff with vendors because they like rip foreigners off.
3. Drink the bottle water instead of water from tap because sanitation of Delhi is terrible.