Things to Know Before Visiting Central America
Name: Central America
Area: 523,780 sq km (202,230 sq mi)
Location: Western Hemisphere
Population: 52,176,283 (2023)
Population density: 99.6/sq km (258.0/sq mi)
Languages: Spanish, English, Mayan
Time zones: UTC-06:00 to UTC-05:00
Main countries: Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Cuba
Largest cities: Guatemala City, Managua, Mexico City, Nassau, Panama City,
San José, San Miguel, San Miguelito, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador, Santa Ana, Tegucigalpa…
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Where is Central America?
Central America is a region in the continent of North America. It refers to the central part of the American continent to the south of the United States and north of Colombia, bordering the Caribbean Sea to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west, and is also a long and narrow land that connects South America and North America.
Best Time to Visit
Central America and the Caribbean have balmy and tropical weather all year round. Visitors will not feel cold at all seasons, but the best time to visit is the dry season from November to next April. There are many amazing Mayan civilization relics, European-style colonial towns, and Caribbean holiday islands with beautiful bays and white sandy beaches.
Historical and Natural Wonders to See
Central America is rich in historical and natural wonders, as well as amazing island escapes, which makes it a fantastic holiday destination. Hereunder are some top-rated tourist attractions to help you plan your Central American tours.
Tikal Ruins, Guatemala
Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica
Blue Hole, Belize
• Chichen Itza, Mexico - The majestic Chichen Itza is the most famous Mayan archaeological site as well as the largest and most prosperous city-state in the ancient Mayan Empire. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
• Tulum, Mexico - It is the remains of an ancient cliff fort built by the Mayans, overlooking the gorgeous Caribbean Sea. The site has more than 60 stone buildings and the most famous are the frescoed temple and the pyramid castle. The view is unbelievable.
• Tikal Ruins, Guatemala - It is the earliest and largest shrine remnant of the Mayan civilization that emerged in a pristine forest. The masterpiece of the ruins is the five huge pyramid temples. Standing on top of the 64-meter-high Temple No. 4, you will have a bird's-eye view of the surrounding virgin forest.
• Panama Canal, Panama - The Panama Canal traverses the Isthmus of Panama and connects the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. It is an important international shipping route and is known as "one of the seven engineering wonders of the world" and "the bridge of the world".
• Great Blue Hole, Belize - One of the top ten diving sites in the world. With a diameter of 305 meters and a depth of 123 meters, this is currently the largest underwater cave in the world. Viewing the cave from the sky, it seems to be a beautiful wreath with a deep blue spectacle, which is known as the Great Blue Hole.
• Lake Nicaragua, Nicaragua - This is the largest lake in Central America, with a length of 160 kilometers (99 miles) and an area of 8,264 square kilometers (319,075 square miles). It is the only freshwater lake that contains oceanic animal life like sharks, tarpon and swordfish, and is great for bird watching. There are also as many as hundreds of verdant and lush islands in the lake, which are also worth exploring.
• Semuc Champey, Guatemala - It is an incredible natural wonder set in a lush mountain valley deep in the Guatemala jungle. Visitors can relax and swim in the stunning turquoise pools, visit Semuc Champey caves and waterfalls, and hike to the lookout, which will bring an unforgettable journey.
• Santa Ana Volcano, El Salvador - It is the country’s highest and most active volcano at an altitude of 2,380 meters (7808 feet), and famous for its scenic beauty and emerald green lagoon at the crater.
• Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica - Manuel Antonio was listed by Forbes as one of the most beautiful national parks in the world, since it is a perfect mixture of rainforest, wildlife, beaches, hills and coral reefs. Visitors can not only enjoy the beautiful sandy beaches here, but also experience jungle trek to look for wildlife.