Vasco Da Gama, Goa
Different district in Goa serves different purposes, tourists who prefer parties over the serene environment, visit the North Goa. While the south Goa beaches are less crowded and more beautiful, unlike other beaches. Vasco Da Gama in Goa is one of the most unexpected and stunning places of Goa, it can also be called a hidden gem.
Vasco Da Gama is known as one of the oldest towns in Goa, and it also served as a port in the rule of Portuguese. You might find this town to be slightly different from the other locations of Goa but it has easily preserved the culture and traditions of Goa in the most beautiful way. This is a great offbeat location for people who want to explore the real beauty of Goa. Here are some of the important details about Vasco Da Gama, Goa.
Important facts about Vasco Da Gama, Goa
Apart from the peaceful locations, this small town is also known for some of the really surprising facts.
• This town is well known for having the Indian Navy Base.
• This town is also known as the International Trading Centre. Since it’s a port city, Vasco Da Gama houses one of the well-known ports i.e. Mormugao, located 4km (2.4 miles) away from the city center.
• It has the sacred Shri Durgamata Shiv Mandir.
• Vasco also has the Aviation Museum; it receives frequent visitors due to its brilliant set up.
• This town is also Nicknamed as Sambhaji Nagar.
• Some of the famous beaches in Vasco Da Gama are Baina Beach, Monkey Beach, Bogmalo Beach, Hollant Beach and Cansaulim Beach. You can easily hire a scooter in Goa, and visit these awesome beaches one after the other.
Places to Visit in Vasco Da Gama, Goa
1. Cansualim Beach – Don’t Miss the Stunning Sunset
This beach is famous for having golden sand and beautiful sunsets. You will find a lovely palm tree that adorns the idyllic beach and makes it look unreal under the dim lights of the fading sun. The Cansualim beach is well-known among the people who love serenity and adventure at the same time. You will often find people taking sunbaths and enjoying the picnic with their loved ones.
Timings: 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM
2. Kesarval Waterfalls – Listen to the Soothing Sound of the Waterfall
This location is in the Quelossim region of Goa, it is often considered as nature’s paradise because the waterfall amid the mountains looks mesmerizing. This location is also one of the hidden gems in Goa, but people have slowly started to crowd in this place. Kesarval waterfall also has some of the interesting water activities for water sports junkies.
Apart from the view and the surrounding, you will feel yourself at home around the freshness and beauty of nature.
Location: Quelossim, Goa 403710
3. Hollant Beach – Enjoy the Lovely Scenery at the Beach
Hollant Beach might not be very crowded but it sure is the most surreal beach in Goa. It is located in the West-coast of India and it is well-known for having exotic locations.
Along with some brilliant views, this beach will also have some famous water activities like Kayaking, boating, swimming and many others. If you are wondering about the distance from Vasco, then you will be surprised to know that it is only 7km (4.3 miles) from the main city. Don’t forget to recharge your camera because you will get some of the brilliant views of the area.
Things to Do on the Beach: Swimming, Kayaking
4. Naval Aviation Museum – Witness the Large Beauties
Leaving this town without visiting the Naval Museum of India would be a real loss. The museum is located in the Vasco-Bogmalo road; you can easily reach the location because it is only 6 km (3.7 miles) away from the main city. You can easily hire a cab to get to this location, the place houses some of the biggest aircraft and weaponry used in wars. If you are a fan of witnessing the weapons and missiles, then this museum will make you very happy.
Location: Bogmalo Road, Dabolim AP Vasco da Gama, Mormugao, Goa 403806
5. Shri Ramnath Temple – Experience Spirituality
The spiritual touch in any city makes it a better place to visit. If you are a spiritual person, get ready to witness this ancient temple dedicated to the five deities like Kamakshi, Lord Ganesh, Lakshmi Narayan, and Betal & Kalbhairav. The temple is said to be 450 years old and it holds great importance for the people of this town. The tourist doesn’t miss to visit this place because the temple radiates with a spiritual vibe much different from any other town. Previously the temple was located in a different place altogether, but it was shifted to the current location in the 16th century for the core reason of saving the idols from the Portuguese invasion.
Location: Ramnathim, Ponda, Goa 403401
Goan Dishes You Must Try in Vasco Da Gama, Goa
• Goan fish curry or the Xitti Kodi
• Chicken Xacuti
• Goan Pork Vindaloo
• Ambot Tik
• Goan feijoada
• Cafreal chicken
• Samarachi Kodi
• Bebinca ( famous sweet dish)
Closest Airport- The closest airport is the Dabolim Airport, at a distance of 4.7 km (2.9 miles). Here is how easily you will be able to reach the destination after hiring a car.
• 12 min (5.1 km) 31 miles via Mangor Airport Rd
• 13 min (5.7 km) 3.5 miles via Mangor Airport Rd and Fl Gomes Rd
• 13 min (4.6 km) 2.8 miles via NH566 and Swatantra Path
Closest Railway- You will not find any regular trains to Vasco Da Gama from the major cities of India. The nearest Railway stations will be Thivim, Madgaon, Karmali which is around 31km (19 miles) distance or more. After getting to the Thivim railway station by walk,
• Panaji - Kudchire via Mapusa, Bicholim towards Kudchire via Mapusa,Bicholim => Belgaum Bus Stand - Vasco via Sakhali towards Vasco via Sakhali=> from Kadamba bus stand you can easily take a walk
There are many bus routes to Vasco Da Gama, however, our best shot will be hiring a cab to get to the location fast as compared to any other transport route.
When it comes to moving around in town, you must know about some of the transport facilities available. This town has some of the most effortless traveling because it connects the suburbs and has major routes that connect all the major places easily. You will easily find auto-rickshaw; hire a cab or bike to travel around. Also, all the locations are located quite nearby which makes it easy to travel.