Indian Visa - Visa Policy of IndiaAll visitors require an entry visa to India, except those with Nepal, Bhutan, and Maldives citizenship. Japanese and South Korean citizens can get an Indian visa on arrival if arriving in designated ports. Visitors can apply for a regular visa at the overseas diplomatic mission of India or visa application center, whereas the most convenient way is to apply for an e-visa online. Below is detailed introduction of visa policy of India.
Do I need a visa for travelling to India?Generally speaking, ordinary passport holders need an Indian visa. It’s not required given that they are covered by the visa exemption policies below.
1. Freedom of Movement for Bhutan and Nepal CitizensCitizens of Bhutan or Nepal can enter India without visas or passports if not arriving from mainland China. The duration of stay is not limited.
2. 90-day Visa-free Entry for Maldives CitizensCitizens of Maldives can stay in India for as long as 90 days without a visa. However, they cannot enter from mainland China.
3. Visa Waiver for Persons with Overseas Indian Citizenship or India OriginForeigners with an Overseas Citizen of India registration certificate or Persons of India Origin Card do not need entry visa.
See more about Can I enjoy a visa-free entry to India?
Visitors who are not covered need an entry visa India. They can choose to get a visa on arrival, an e-visa or a regular visa in advance on a case by case basis.
Visa on Arrival (VOA)Citizens of Japan and South Korea, if landing in the airport of Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata or Mumbai, can get an Indian visa on arrival which is valid for 60 days. A VOA costs 2,000 rupees.
Indian Visa TypesThe main types include:
Tourist, Business, Medical, Medical Attendant, Conference, Employment, Student, Intern, Film
How to apply for an tourist visa to Indian1. Fill in the application form online on the website of India’s Bureau of Immigration. Your passport copy and recent photo will be required for upload.
2. Pay the e-Tourist visa fee.
3. Receive the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) by email within 3 to 5 days.
4. Arrive in India and present the ETA at Immigration Check Post. Then the officer will stamp an e-Tourist visa on your passport.
If applying at the overseas embassy or consulate of India, or the Indian Visa Application Center, visitors need to fill in and submit the application form online. Next, submit all documents to the visa office. Then, collect passport and visa in person or by post. The processing may take 3 to 5 working days.
See more about India Tourist Visa - How to Apply, Requirements, Cost
How much does an Indian visa cost?
An e-visa may cost zero, US$ 25, US$80, and US$ 100 in accordance with the applicant’s nationality. Besides, bank transaction fees may be charged. Besides the visa fee charged by government, visitors applying at the Indian Visa Application Center need to pay the service fee.
See more about India Visa Fees