India Visa Application – 6 StepsGetting a visa for India is a must thing to do for almost all foreign travelers except citizens from Nepal, Bhutan, and Maldives who can enjoy visa-free, and citizens of Japan and South Korea who can get an India visa on arrival. How to apply for an India vias for others? With the implementation of Indian’s e-visa program, nowadays, it’s quite easy to apply for an Indian e-visa online. Here are the steps you need to go through in order to obtain an India e-visa.
1. Check whether you need a visa and your eligibility for an e-visa.As is mentioned above, except the citizens from Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives, Japan, and South Korea, others need to apply for an Indian visa before departure. The Indian e-visa is the first choice as it is applicable to citizens of over 160 countries including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, United Kingdom, and USA. See the detailed list of countries which have access to an Indian e-visa.
2. See which visa type you need.At present, Indian e-visa is divided into the following categories:
e-Tourist Visa, e-Business Visa, e-Conference Visa, e-Medical Visa, and e-Medical Attendant Visa
Travelers can choose the type according to your needs. If none of them applies to you, you need to collect your documents and apply in an Indian embassy or designed visa agent.
3. Fill in the Visa Application Form Online.
Completely, truthfully, and carefully fill in the Indian Visa Application Form on the website of India’s Bureau of Immigration. Your personal particulars will be required in this part. Additionally, you will be required to upload a digital photo of yourself as well as the scanned bio page of your passport.
Read More: Indian Visa Requirements
4. Pay the visa fee online.Use credit card, debit card, or payment wallet to pay the visa fee. Depending on applicants’ nationalities, the fees are divided into four slabs, including zero, US$25, US$80 and US$100. Besides such fees paid to Indian government, you need to pay the banking fee of 2.5% of the visa fee itself. Know more about India Visa Fees.
Read More: India Visa Fees
5. Check your visa application status and receive the ETA by email.After submitting the application, you can track your visa application status on the website of India’s Bureau of Immigration. If your visa is granted, you will receive the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) within 5 days or so.
6. Get a printed copy of the ETA.Be aware that the ETA is not the equivalent of an India visa. You need to get a printed copy of it, and represent the copy to the immigration upon arrival. After collecting your bio info, the officer will stamp a visa on your passport.
How to apply for an India visa in person at the consulate or visa application center?Applicants applying at an Indian consulate or visa agent should follow different procedures. Usually, they need to first complete an online India Visa Application Form, the same as the first step for applying for an e-visa. Next, submit the required documents to the Indian consulate or visa application center. Then collect your passport on the appointed date. See detailed India Visa Application Requirements.