Most Famous Markets in Kerala You Should VisitBesides its natural beauty, Kerala is also famous for its markets. Markets in Kerala are famous for their natural, handmade, eco-friendly items. For the reasons and more, Kerala is often described as a paradise for the shopaholics. The spices, handicrafts and textiles of Kerala is world famous and one has to visit its local markets to collect these authentic items from Kerala.
1. M.G Road- This is a large spread of shops that sells various items like clothes, jewellery, toys footwear, nuts etc. This area is also famous for the decorative items.
Timings: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm
2. Lulu Market- This 17-acre market in Kerala is famous for its 215 shops. The bowling alleys, large foot court and a skating rink attracts visitors to this market.
Timings: 9:00 am to 10:00 pm
3. Spice Market- Kerala shopping will be incomplete with a visit to the Spice Market at Mattancherry. This market is famous for its bustling crowd that includes both tourists and locals. The ambience of this market in Kerala is often filled with the aromatic smell of rich spices such as cardamom, turmeric, cloves, pepper etc.
Timings: 10am to 9:30 pm
1. Chalai – This market in Kerala sells various items, including daily grocery items. The market is also famous for readymade clothes and local beverages.
Timings: 24 hours.
2. Connemara Market- This market is also known as Palayam Market and it’s famous for shops selling regular items, fish, meat, vegetable, groceries, coir items, spices etc. It also sells wine and mistletoe during the Christmas month. The tourists can visit this market to fulfil some shopping hungers and also to experience the essence of the local communities.
Timings: 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
MunnarMunnar travel will be incomplete without some shopping. Munnar is famous for its tea and spice plantation and its markets sell these fresh produced items. One must collect some tea leaves and aromatic spices from Munnar. These items are appropriate gift items that one can carry back home. Munnar has a range of spices and tea at a very low and affordable price. The markets of Munnar also sells other local items like earthen pots, copper and brass utensils and handicraft items. The various handicraft items include traditional oil lamp (Nilavilakku), sandalwood chest and bangles, snake boat models (Uru). Some of the popular shopping spots of Munnar are-
• Tata Tea Company: tea
• Shrishti Welfare Centre: gift items, sarees, textiles, handmade papers
• Mattupetty Dam Market: accessories, wooden artefacts
• Local Markets: Spices, Aroma oil, Nuts, Handmade chocolates
There are various other shops present near the Lighthouse beach in Kovalam. One must be ready to examine their bargaining skills while visiting these local shops.