Top 6 Art Galleries in Delhi You Must VisitIn the capital city of India, you are bound to have the best of everything. Artists from around the country, particularly from the smaller towns bring their work of arts to the high-profile art galleries of Delhi which take their work to the international audience. Here is a list of the art galleries in Delhi that will make your day if you have anything to do with art.
1. Nature MorteThis contemporary art gallery of Delhi echoes the paintings of its time. From vibrant to greys the moods of the paintings also sway like its colors. Abstract insightful, to reflecting on more relevant socio-political matters, photographs that can make you gaze at eloquence for hours, this gallery truly brings the best of paintings and photographs in unisons and celebrates the artistic mastery of some great artists of India along with some more who are embarking on greatness.
• Bus: No. 413, 500,522A,540,540CLUP, 540CLDOWN, 544 ML-74
• Taxi: The best way to reach is by taxi. The black and yellow roof taxis charge INR 25 for the first kilometer and then the fare increases by INR 14 per km. In AC taxis the fare increases by INR 16 per km. (See also Taxi Services in Delhi)
• Timings: 10: 00 AM – 6:00 PM
2. Vadehra Art GalleryThe art gallery of Delhi that displays the cream artists of India. Names like Zakir Hussain, Ravinder Reddy, Atul Dodhiya, SH Raza and many more are a part of the collection of this gallery. Works that hold you spellbound. You get so absorbed that even if you aren’t a passionate art lover you will be drawn to these wonderful paintings.
• Location of South Delhi
• Metro: Lajpat Nagar Metro Stop
• Bus: 404DOWN. 413, 419TLUP, 423,450, 522,611A. The Nearest Stop is Defense Colony.
• Timings 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
• Address: Jaipur House, India Gate, Govt. of India, New Delhi
• Bus: 899,932DOWN, 932AUP,990A, 990A, 990E-CL-UP, 990EXT Bus stop Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital
• Metro: Nearest stop Rithala 12 minutes’ walk
• Timings: Mon - Fri 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Saturday 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Read more about Delhi Crafts Museum
4. The Stainless GalleryAn interesting collection of various genres that are displayed with the thought of adorning houses and office walls. Indeed, the paintings are quite admirable to watch even if you aren't a collector you will still have something to take back with you. A busy place with year-long exhibitions. When they are not exhibiting the space is open for others. Art seems to be a part of the life of this gallery. Interesting art pieces of all types find place here. Workshops, for budding artists and activity through the year keeps this place amply occupied.
• Address: Property no. 1 & 2, Block C-O, 4, Mathura Rd, Ishwar Nagar, New Friends Colony, New Delhi, Delhi 110025
• Bus: 405ASTLUP, 460CLUP, 473CLUP, 894CLDOWN Closest bus stop Bharat Nagar 9 minutes’ walk
• Metro: Closest stop Ashram 18 minutes’ walk
5. Kiran Nadar Museum of ArtThis is a private Modern Contemporary Art Museum that exhibits a rich diversity. The museum had its former branch in Noida. Art lovers love the veritable collection and regular exhibitions in the gallery keep bringing up modern and contemporary themes to showcase the artist expression on current palpable themes. Not just India but the artistic interpretations of the world too make an appearance in this 18000 sq., ft area. The museum has about 4500 paintings from as old as the 19th century.
• Location: Behind DLF Select City walk mall, Saket
• Time Required: 1 - 2 hrs.
• Timings: 10:00 AM to 6:30 PM. Closed on Mondays and All Public Holidays
• Entry Fee: Free
6. Dhoomimal Art Gallery, DelhiDhoomimal Art Gallery is the oldest private art gallery in Delhi. It was a stationery shop for artists which later got converted to showcase the works of famous group artists like Santi Dev, Bimal Das Gupta. Sailoz Mookherjea and KS Kulkarni. In 1905, when some paintings of Jamini Roy was exhibited here, the place was completely converted to a gallery. Bimal Das Gupta and Shanti Dave were regular exhibitors here. Other great artists like MF Hussain and H.A. Gade, Krishe's work are on display here.
• Address: A8, Connaught Place, Near Rajiv Chowk Metro Station (See more Delhi Metro Stations), New Delhi, India
• Metro: Nearest metro station Rajiv Chowk metro station 7 minutes’ walk
• Bus: 400DOWN,450,490,522CLUP, 820, 85UP Nearest bus stop DTC Shivaji Bus Terminal 3 min walk
• Timings: All days of the week except Sunday 10:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Delhi’s art treasures are stored away in so many places. Even the museums should be counted among the art galleries of Delhi. If you love art, then you will find more but till then you can try out my list for a quick walkthrough.