Secretariat Building - Genius Architecture by Le CorbusierThe Secretariat Building, Chandigarh is one of the exclusive architecture by the famous architect Le Corbusier. It’s the largest construction in the Capitol Complex and also the headquarters of both Haryana and Punjab. The structure of the Secretariat building is long and horizontal. The concrete on the horizontal side is around 254 meters (833 feet) long and 42 meters (138 feet) high. The building is built towards the edge of the Capitol Complex on the left side.
The stunning building consists of eight floors, and the blocks are separated by expansion joints. This building bears a close resemblance to the Marseilles apartment block, also built by Le Corbusier. The structure looks extremely attractive with exposed concrete ramps and small square windows. This building is designed with all the requirements in mind, especially sun control. It enhances the splendor of the Capitol Complex and gives a sense of hierarchy, because on moving further ahead in the complex, you will find more significant and beautiful buildings.
Architecture and InteriorThe Secretariat Building, Chandigarh is built in a rough-cast concrete, the interior of the Secretariat Building is a vision beyond time. You will find the 800-foot long building divided in a lot of places with recesses, stair towers, projections and other structures in deferent patterns. Even though the building is huge, it was still designed perfectly to not overshadow the other architectures in the Capitol. The sun-break concept used in the Secretariat Building will make the observers wonder. The design gives a very beautiful two-dimensional view and the roof garden changes for the observer depending on the angle of vision.
Every facet of the Secretariat Building, Chandigarh is a well-planned architecture of the modern designed by Le Corbusier. His designs have an exclusive pattern, and only a genius could get such a structure in the frame.
About Le Corbusier (1887- 1965)The brain behind the Secretariat Building, Chandigarh and the entire Capitol Complex is Le Corbusier. You must have heard about him earlier when modern and genius architects are mentioned. He was a Swiss-French architect and he acquired the position of the most important architect of the 20th century.
His stories of fame and the gifted brain doesn’t just end with architecture, he was a talented painter, provocative writer, visionary urban planner, and an unparallel polemicist. His work can be seen in almost every city in this world, and he was successfully able to influences some of the powerful people from numerous professions.
Le Corbusier had a very different way of designing, and to make the curious minds understand the stunning concept of his architecture, he developed the ‘five points of architecture’. Here are the summarized points:
1. He believed in freeing the walls of their structural function and raising the building on ‘Pilotis’.
2. To employ a free plan with walls freed of their structure.3. The façade should be freely designed.
4. The architecture must be designed to light rooms evenly, and it was carried out from the horizontal ribbon windows.5. The ground space for the garden should be shifted to the roof, and the ground should be occupied by the base of the building.
Le Corbusier wasn’t scared of experimenting and modernizing the structure, he became the most influential architect of the 20th century for his fierce vision of urban planning. He shared some of the brilliant architecture that is still studied and used to inspire millions.
Surrounding AttractionsSecretariat Building, Chandigarh that consists of the administrative offices is surrounded by other famous architecture in the Capitol Complex. The place is well known for its modern architecture and well-maintained government offices. Visiting the complex can also get you close to a few other famous locations that you can explore.
1. Pinjore Garden (7:00 am - 9:30 pm) All daysThis garden is considered to be a perfect place for weekend outings with friends and family. It’s a beautiful place with lush green lawns perfect for picnics, beautiful palaces, a Japanese garden, and an extensive plant nursery. The greenery extends as far as you can see, and it also has a lovely fountain and light show which is the famous attraction for the tourists.
2. Rose Garden (6:00 am - 10:00 pm) Monday-Saturday (9:00 am - 10:00 pm)This place is in a little distance from the Capitol Complex; however, it’s the famous attraction due to wide varieties of roses. The Zakir Hussain Rose Garden has over 1600 species of roses and they are wonderfully planted in carved-out lawns and flower beds. The fondness for flowers and horticulture of Dr.M.S. Randhawa is reflecting through the beauty of this garden.
3. Smriti Upavan (8:00 am - 8:30 pm) All daysThis is another beautiful garden in Sector 1 placed between the Rock Garden and Sukhna Lake. It was set up in 1988 with a vision to plant trees for the departed soul. People visit this place to remember their loved ones by planting trees and refreshing the lost memories around nature. The first tree was planted in the memory of India’s first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru by the adviser Mr. Ashok Pradhan.
4. Government Museum and Art Gallary (10 am - 4:30 pm) Monday ClosedThis museum has an amazing collection of Gandharan sculptures, Pahari and Rajasthani paintings. It is a premier museum of North India that has its roots from the partition of India in August 1947. Before the partition, all the art and paintings were secured in the Central Museum.
5. Open Hand Monuments (8:00 am - 9:00 pm) Open 7 DaysThe Open Hand structure is another famous landmark designed by the famous architect Le Corbusier. It is one of the renowned attractions in the Capitol Complex and holds a remarkable sight for the tourists. This symbolic monument defines ‘the hand to give and the hand to take, peace and prosperity, and the unity of mankind’.
Each surrounding attractions near Secretariat Building have a beauty and history of its own. Along with the brilliant architecture in the Capitol Complex, you will get an opportunity to explore some of the famous places with a moving history and vision.