Paradise Beach, PondicherryDuring the 19th and some parts of the 20th century, India was an important colonial stronghold of many European countries, including the British, Portuguese, and French. The cities colonized by these countries still harbor their European heritage and architecture, reminding the visitors about its past.
Among these cities of India, Pondicherry probably holds to its colonial past most dearly. The colonial-era buildings and the bougainvillea-draped architecture would remind you of the quintessential rustic French metropolis. Pondicherry is a beautiful seaside town, covered with numerous beaches. These romantic venues are well-known for their landscape and seaside settings.
Among these seafronts, Paradise Beach in Pondicherry is probably the most popular one. Here you can take part in water sports, swimming, and so much more. This write-up is meant to help visitors, like you, who would be venturing to Paradise Beach for the first time. This page might contain some insightful information, which might prove helpful for beach veterans.
Let’s look into it.
Keynote on Paradise Beach in Pondicherry
Address: Manaveli Rd, Chinna Veerampattinam, Puducherry 605007
Opening time: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Entry Fee: Free
Famous for: View of the sunrise and serene landscape
Visit Duration: 2 hours
Best time to visit: November to March
How to reach: Take auto-rickshaws or cabs to reach the Chunnambar boathouse. From there take the ferry to Paradise Beach. The ferries leave every twenty minutes apart. Remember to note the timings of the last ferries to avoid hassles.
Overview of the Pondicherry Paradise BeachThe stunning Paradise Beach is one of the most happening places in the city. Also referred to as the Plage Paradiso, the pristine beach is bejeweled with the golden sand and numerous shacks offering a stunning variety of traditional cuisines and drinks. Due to its proximity to the city center (8km from the city center) and swimmable beaches, the place is always flooded with locals and tourists.
However, during the early mornings when the beach is secluded - you can just sit and relax while enjoying the stunning sunrise. You are always welcome to enjoy the stunning sunshine while reading your favorite book or listening to music. But, the free-flowing waves of Bay of Bengal are very enticing, and it might be difficult to keep away from the water.
The currents at Paradise Beach are high, so do not ignore the warnings signs issued by the lifesaver.
Things to Do at the Paradise Beach
1. Relaxing at the beachfrontThe beautiful sea beach is endowed with natural beauty, which is very soothing. You can spend countless hours just sitting on the beach, enjoying the soothing ocean waves.
2. Enjoying sportsYou can play beach football, volleyball, or beach cricket with your friends. The soft beach sand makes this place suitable for beach sports lovers.
3. Great photography venueIf you are a photography lover, then this place is meant for you. The Pondicherry Paradise Beach is endowed with many inspiring sights that are worthy of thousands of pictures. Just fill your social media timeline with stunning photographs and gorgeous selfies of yourself at the seaside. The dark blue water of the Bay of Bengal and the sunrise attracts numerous photography enthusiasts to this place.
4. Eating fresh local delightsSouth Indian gastronomy is blessed with a smorgasbord of pleasantly beautiful platters of cuisines. At the Paradise seashore you will find the hawkers selling some of the stunning examples of South Indian delicacies like bhajis (fried fritters), and samosas (fried puff pastries with curried vegetables – primarily potatoes). To quench your thirst, you can always buy tender cocoanut water from the locals. Buying items from these small vendors helps these small-time vendors and promotes the local economy.
5. Sunrise – the most stunning featureThe sunrise at Paradise Beach, Pondicherry is quite stunning and attracts nature lovers from far and wide.
6. Water sportsIf you have an adventurous streak in you, then you can take part in the numerous beach activities available at the beachfront. You can go for canoeing, kayaking, or even jet-skiing offered by the locals. Swimming close to the shore is also permitted.
Tips for Tourists1. Weather is generally humid here, so it is recommended to wear cotton or some other breathable fabrics for a comfortable stay.
2. Pack your sunglasses, a good sunscreen, and hats for sun protection.
3. Dehydrations in Indian summers are quite common among overseas guests. Drink a lot of water for hydration, or better buy tender coconut water for instant refreshment.
4. It is not customary to offer tips to taxi drivers. However, the extra money could help them immensely.
2. Puducherry MuseumThe Puducherry Museum is a small villa that houses stunning exhibits belonging to Vijayanagar, Chola, and Nayak era. Watch out for stunning bronzes, kept in a disintegrating manner.
Some other landmarks includes• Sri Manakula Vinayagar Temple
• Sacred Heart Basilica
• École Française d'Extrême-Orient