Srirangam - Mesmerizing Temple Town in TrichySrirangam in Trichy (also Tiruchirappalli) is gaining tourist recognition at a very fast pace. This town is built in around 600 acres of island in which 156 acres of land are taken by the famous Srirangam temple alone. This place has very easy and suitable connections with some of the surrounding areas; the town is around 7km (4.3 miles) away from Trichy, and conveniently close to the airport in the area.
Countless things will amaze you in this area. The place is very important to the Vaishnavas because they worship Vishnu and he is also known as ‘Renganathar’ and this town holds the important Renganathar temple. As mentioned, there are many reasons why people are attracted to this place, and its gaining popularity among the tourists, but one of the reasons is also the geographic location of the island which falls between the River Cauvery and Kolidam. It’s also surprising that this island is blessed with a flower market known as the Sathara Veedhi from where the Garlands and flowers are exported to several foreign countries.
When it comes to exporting things from this place to different countries, there is also a famous garden called the “Thatha Chariya Garden” known for its mangoes. This place exports tons of mangoes to surrounding countries every year. Srirangam in Trichy is also known for its peaceful and famous residential apartments. This place successfully runs five malnutrition schools, six primary schools, and three Government-aided schools that take the responsibility of providing some of the best education facilities in this town.
Since this area is famous for residential areas, you will be surprised to know that there are over five hundred apartments in Srirangam, Trichy. If you are an art lover, then you will love to visit the art galleries where you will completely lose yourself in the mesmerizing art and craft.
An Abode of GodsThe place has a distinction in having the very first eight temples of Lord Vishnu. These temples are self-manifested and in Hindu Mythology, it is better known as Swayam Vyakta Kshetras. Tourists visiting this place doesn’t miss out on the opportunity of exploring the main shrine because it is not just known as the first one out of the rest but first among all the 108 shrines that are dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Here are some of the details about the main temple.
• The Vishnu shrine is known as the biggest because it is built over 156 acres of land.
• The unique setting of the temple will amaze you as it is constructed in an islet that was created by river Coleroon and Kaveri.
• The temples have around seven enclosures and it’s important for the devotees to walk through all of them that locally known as Prakaras.
Enjoy Temples VisitsThis town is famous for temple visits around the area and has some of the important places under its name.
• The Vishnu shrine is naturally formed and it’s situated at the bank of the river Kaveri. Apart from the main temple, there are three other temples known as the Madhya Ranga Temple (in Shivanasamudra), Adi Ranga Temple (in Srirangapatna), and Antya Ranga Temple in Srirangam.
• You can also visit other famous places in Srirangam like Thiruvanaikoil Temple, Uraiyur, Rockfort Temple, Vekkali Amman Temple, Samayapuram Mariamman, Kaattu Azhagiya Singar Temple, and Kumara Vayalur Temple, etc.
• A popular Vishnu temple in this location is the Sri Vadivazhagiya Nambi Perumal Temple that has Appala Ranganathar as the presiding deity and hence, the other name for this temple is Appakudathan Temple. The temple is situated at Koviladi, a village very close to the town of Srirangam.
• If you haven’t had enough by visiting the spiritual temples in Srirangam, then you must explore another famous Vishnu temple called the Azhagiya Nambi Temple which is a brilliant subsection of the main Sri Ranganathaswamy temple.
• The other important temples in Srirangam are the Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, the Jambu Lingeswarar, the Jambu Lingeswarar, the Akhilandeshwari Temple, and the Samayapuram Mariamman Temple.
Raghavendra MuttApart from the main temples in this town, this temple is situated close to the Srirangam bus stand. The Raghavendra Mutt has a very calm and peaceful environment, it can be visited throughout the year and it received countless visitors especially on Thursdays. You won’t face any problems in terms of transportation because it is around 1.5 km (0.9mi) away from Srirangam railway station.
Butterfly ParkThis is another place that you will love to explore in the area. The butterfly park is around 5km (3.1 miles) away from the Srirangam and can be covered easily with any transport. The main attractions of this place are the varieties of butterflies and colorful flowers. This place is perfect for kids and adults because there is so much to explore around nature. It also has a lot of ducks in the lake and hanging bridges to complete the serene scene where people can sit and enjoy.
How to Reach Srirangam, Trichy?Now that you have a complete idea about this place and famous attractions, you must also know that it is well-connected by all the transportation platforms. Here are some of them that can help you travel easily.
Rail:Tiruchirappalli Railway Junction is around 10km (6.2 miles) away from Srirangam and can be easily traveled from any place in India.
Road:Srirangam is linked by NH45, NH210, NH67, and NH227. Frequent govt & private buses are available that connect Trichy with major cities like Coimbatore, Chennai, Madurai, Salem, Bangalore, etc.
Air:This mode of transportation is developing rapidly. There are many direct flights available from Trichy to Singapore, Colombo, and to many Arab-countries.
Things to Buy in Srirangam• There are numerous things you can buy as souvenirs, the shops are available around the temple area, but you are suggested to haggle.
• The photos of the main deity can also be a good piece of souvenirs.
• People also suggest buying kitchen-ware that is made with iron and is highly preferred by the tourists to take back home.