Napier Museum in ThiruvananthapuramIf you are a lover of art and history, then you will enjoy visiting the famous Napier Museum in Trivandrum located in the heart of the Thiruvananthapuram city. This museum is in a close distance to Zoological Park and was built in the 19th century; it is oozing with some of the brilliant artifacts like ancient ornaments, bronze idols, a temple chariot, and ivory carvings. If you want to witness the epic Mahabharata and Ramayana depicted through the brilliant Japanese Shadow-play, then this museum is a must to visit.
You will get to explore the rich culture of Kerala on display because the museum is a blend of Kerala, Indian, Chinese, and Mughal School of architecture. Here are some of the important details about this place that you must know.
Location: Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Timing: 10:00 am- 4:30 pm (Closed on Monday) National holidays
Entry fee: Required
Type: Art museum, Archaeology museum
Famous for: History, Information, and Antiquity
Visit Duration: 2 -3 hours
The Natural History MuseumThe Natural History Museum lies in the same compound, and it has some of the very famous exhibits on display, from invertebrates to skeleton gallery, you will love the systematic view of all the displays. This museum was established in 1855 and has many sections to keep you entertained. Some of the famous sections are as follows:
• Bird Gallery
• Skeleton gallery
• Vertebrate section
• Mammal’s gallery
• Index Gallery
• Invertebrate gallery
• Research purpose
These sections have tons of information for you to explore different prospects art and creativity. You will love to explore the other interesting things about the museum.
Interesting Facts about Napier Museum in TrivandrumMany things will amaze you about the construction of this museum. It was built by the famous architect called Rober Chisholm in the year 1855; however, it was rebuilt in 1874.
• The work on Raja Ravi Varma looks breathtaking in the art gallery.
• The Sri Chitra Art Gallery has paintings from across the world, and it represents several different cultures.
• The building of this museum also has a unique cooling arrangement built into it.
• There are over 500 exhibits in the museum along with the wide variety of artifacts on display.
• The zoological garden present in the museum was opened in 1857, and it is known to be the oldest in the country.
Apart from these interesting facts about the museum, you don’t have to worry about the activities inside the museum compound. There are many things to do in the surrounding areas of this museum.
Napier Museum, Trivandrum
Things to Do in Napier Museum, Trivandrum• If you are an art lover, you will admire the beautiful and creative workmanship done on the stone sculptures and the wooden carvings.
• You will love to explore the great architecture and designs of the place.
• You will be astonished to see the stunning jewelry of royal people that they used in the olden days; it reflects the royalty and extravagance of those people.
• You can sit and relax in the calming ground because it’s perfect to observe the beauty around the place.
• You can also enjoy looking at the detailing of the unique exhibits of the Shri Chitra Art Gallery.
• Don’t forget to taste the local cuisines around the place.
• You can visit the zoological garden and the National Heritage Museum inside the museum ground.
• Sri Chitra Art GallerySri Chitra Art Gallery was established in the year 1935, and it is on the north side of the Trivandrum Napier Museum. The gallery has a unique collection of contemporary and traditional paintings done by the famous artists called Raja Ravi Varma, Nicholas Roerich, and many others. You will be surprised to know that there are over 1100 paintings exhibited in the gallery. You will enjoy the stunning display of art and culture done by creative painters from the past.
Sri Chitra Art Gallery
• Puthe Maliga Palace MuseumMany people are skeptical about this location, but it is highly suggested by enthusiastic tourists. The Puthe Maliga Palace Museum was known as the palace of the Maharaja of Travancore in the past. You will have to cross the banana plantation to make it to the 200-year old museum. Once you reach the museum, you must focus on seeing the main attraction of this place, which is the wooden carved ceilings, marble sculptures, and the famous Belgian glass that enhances the beauty of the interior.
Travel Tips• You must plan a schedule and stick to it if you want to explore the surrounding locations. The museum ground has a zoological park as well which you will love to explore.
• Save yourself from dehydration by drinking plenty of water, no matter in which season you’re visiting this place, you must carry your own bottle of water, and avoid drinking tap water.
• Make sure you are wearing a comfortable shoe to explore this region without any discomfort.
The temple is located in an alluring location and it builds an aura of curiosity. If you are interested in exploring the culture and traditions of this region, then visiting this Museum will be the perfect choice. The famous pieces done by creative painters from the past can prove to be a source of inspiration for budding artists. Enjoy going around this stunning location, and don’t forget to carry your camera to capture the brilliance of this place.