5 Places that Make a Perfect Vietnam Family Vacation
A backpacker’s favorite, Vietnam is a destination for sensory overload. Watching over the beautiful limestone islands from the Halong Bay, or exploring the network of the cave system in the tropical Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park – every color of nature is just brighter and more beautiful in here. But that is not all; the country is emerging as a popular family destination that has so much to offer to each member of the group.
Be it beach holidays, or adventurous hiking trips, travelers can do so much with their little ones. There are plenty of beautiful countryside resorts and holiday homes, providing suitable activities for even the grumpiest of kids.
Come along to discover some stunning destinations ideal for Vietnam family vacation.
1. Hoi AnAn ancient town, listed under the UNESCO World Heritage List, could be the perfect place for a family holiday. It is picturesque and covered in an ancient charm, especially during the summer months when the entire city is covered in beautifully bright bougainvillea flowers. Hoi An, of the Quang Nam Province, is a 15th-century trading city once visited by Chinese, Japanese, and European traders. A perfect Vietnam family vacation spot, at Hoi An one can find beautiful boutique hotels with full of activities for kids as well as adults. Families interested in outdoor activities can go for sightseeing, kayaking or cycling through the lush rice fields. For families who want to relax indoors can participate in traditional Vietnamese cooking classes, lantern-making activities, or banana boat rides.
Surrounded with beautifully preserved structures, the city radiates a charm that is usually lost in noises from the antique streets.
How to reach: Hoi An is accessible via road. Visitors coming to the city can board a bus or taxi from Da Nang. The city does not have any airports or railway stations.
• Visiting the Bang Beach
• Exploring an old living quarter of the city• Shopping at Hoi An market
2. Danang or Da NangAlthough a major Vietnamese metropolis, Danang is comparatively less overwhelming than other major cities of the country. Surrounded by beaches and stunning landscapes, Danang is a beautiful spot for a family retreat. It is halfway between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, and is accessible from all the major cities of Vietnam through buses, rail network, and flight. Families can hike up to the Son Tra Mountains for a breathtaking view of the city. Apart from that, the city has two theme parks - Ba Na Hills and Asia Park – full of activities meant for the kids. The Ba Na Hills is often referred to as the Disneyland of Vietnam.
The city has a busy shopping district and some interesting historical landmarks. Also, for beach loving families Danang has not one or two, but four beaches - My Khe Beach, My Son. Lang Co Beach, Hoi An Beach, and Lang Co Beach. Among these seashores, My Khe Beach is most popular and has a host of beach activities including diving, water-skiing, and yachting.
How to reach: Da Nang is well connected with the major cities of Vietnam. One can either board a flight or train from Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. Buses are also available.Must-do activities:
• Relaxing at My Khe Beach• Coffee at one of the coffee houses of Da Nang
• Hiking to the Marble Mountains
Relaxing at Da Nang Beach
3. Mui Ne
Located in the Bình Thuan Province of Vietnam, Mui Ne is a beautiful fishing town. Close to the coastal region, with an extraordinary climate, the Vietnam family vacation would be incomplete without visiting this gorgeous city. There are abundant resorts available within the city at a reasonable price. Families can take part in water (Mui Ne is a popular destination for that) or have a quiet family picnic at the beaches. Although the city is frequented by tourists, there are small hubs in the city that still harbor the old-school beauty of Vietnam. Visiting the Mui Ne main market is a must for tourists looking for an offbeat experience.
How to reach Mui Ne: Mui Ne is connected to Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi via airways. Trains and buses from nearby cities are also available.
• Kite surfing from October to April• Mini golf for kids
• Water sports
Beautiful Beach with A Grove of Coconuts
The Dalat, located in the Lam Dong Province of Vietnam, is ideal for families that love to stay outdoors. With a spring-like climate, the city was once the home of the French who came here to escape from the tropical heat of Saigon. The city has gradually evolved as a hub for adventure sport, where tourists can participate in kayaking, canoeing, and trekking. Extremely popular among the local tourists as well, one can find couples enjoying a lovely weekend retreat away from their busy city life.
How to reach: Flight, trains, or buses from nearby cities can be boarded for visiting the city.Must-do activities:
• Adventure sports
• Trekking to Lang Biang Mountain• Taking the cable car to Truc Lam Pagoda
5. Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) is probably the most popular metropolis of Vietnam. The city is chaotic but has its charm. With all its beautifully decorated temples and skyscrapers, the HCMC can offer something to everyone. The city has a wide array of museums, entertainment centers, and open spaces. People traveling with kids can take part in special street food tours, or learn traditional Vietnamese cooking. Also, visiting the traditional Ben Thanh Market at night is highly recommended.
How to reach: The city is accessible from Hanoi and other major cities by flight. Apart from that, buses and trains are available as well.Must-do activities:
• Exploring the old quarters of the city• Visiting the important landmarks of the city
• Taking part in family cooking classes
Marvelous Night View of Ho Chi Minh City
Honorable mentionFamilies planning a Vietnam family vacation can also lookup for these places as well. These locations have their own merits and can make an ideal spot for a relaxing holiday with kids.
• Ninh Binh• Mekong Delta