7 Famous Places in EgyptAs the timeless land of mystery and splendors, Egypt is the destination for exploring the past. The land of the Nile, Egypt is home to some of the engineering marvels of the past. This tiny African nation is packed with numerous attractions, and even after a month-long holiday – you might end up missing some of the most interesting destinations of the country.
Here you will find a list of the most famous places in Egypt. It can help you in planning your Egyptian holiday better.
1. CairoAs the capital of Egypt, Cairo is an ancient city with a young beating heart. Established in 969 A.D, the city is the witness to numerous revolutions and power struggles. The city is energetic and full of life, and filled attractions. Also referred as Umm Ad Dunya (Mother of the World), here are some of the most popular tourist attractions of Cairo:
• Pyramids of Giza
• Al-Azhar Mosque
• Coptic Cairo Museum
• Manial Palace
• Alabaster Mosque/ Mosque of Muhammad Ali
• Bab Zuweila
While exploring the Egypt tourist attractions in Cairo, do make a point to explore the Khan el-Khalili to experience an authentic Middle Eastern Souq (shopping complex). Apart from this, take a tour of the Al-Muizz li-Din Allah Street to explore the painstakingly restored Mamluk buildings dating back to almost the 13th century.
2. LuxorLuxor is home to the largest collection of ancient monuments, surely one of the best places to visit in Egypt. Most tourists stay here for a day or two, but such a short time is not enough to explore Luxor in its entirety. Be it sunrise on the serpentine Nile, or an adventure in the ancient resting place of the Pharaohs. Exploring Luxor is an exciting adventure full of unforgettable experiences.
Some of the popular tourist attractions of Luxor are:
• Valley of the Kings
• Temple of Karnak
• Temple of Deir al-Bahri
• Luxor Museum
• Medinet Habu
3. Sharm El SheikhEgypt is the destination for travelling and exploring new horizons. Sharm El Sheikh on the Gulf of Aqaba is one such destination. Known for its rich scuba diving dive spot, the place is well known destination for scuba diving. Crystal-clear waters and glorious sunshine make Sharm the destination for holiday among the oversea as well as Locals.
Besides diving, you can go to some other popular locations including:
• Ras Mohammed National Park
• Naama Bay
• Ras Um Sid Beach and Reef
• Mt. Sinai
• Saint Catherine's Monastery
Crystal-clear Waters of Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt
Overall, vacationing at Sharm El Sheikh is an interesting proposition. It is undoubtedly one of the most famous places in Egypt.
4. AlexandriaAlexandria is one of the ancient cities of the world, and a trip to Alexandria or Al Iskendariyya is traveling back into the time. Home to the glorious library and dazzling architecture of the pharaohs, the city fell into unfortunate ruins post the decline of the ancient empire. However, post the 19th century, the city has been up for a new revival.
Here are a few places worth visiting in this historical city:
• Bibliotheca Alexandrina
• Fort Qaitbey
• Alexandria National Museum
• Kom el-Dikka
Citadel of Qaitbay in Alexandria
Also, after a hectic sightseeing schedule, you can always relax and enjoy some quite time at the Montazah Gardens. Or, you can head to the beach for some nice time.
5. Port SaidOnce a thriving sea port of Egypt, the city came to existence with the Suez Canal. You can explore the seafront and the entry point of the canal from raised boardwalk meant for the pedestrians. One of the less explored Egypt tourist attractions, Port Said has a lot to offer:
• El Nasr Museum for Modern Art
• Military Museum
• Suez Canal House
• Port Said beach and the Lighthouse
• Coptic Church
• Francian Compound
Port Said - A Thriving Sea Port of Egypt
6. AswanDuring the ancient times, Aswan was an important strategic point and a military garrison. Now, Aswan is the beautiful city that deserves to be explored at a slow pace. With the towering landscapes and gorgeous Lake Nasser on the backdrop, the entire city is exceptionally beautiful.
Some of the popular landmarks of the Aswan are:
• Nubia Museum
• Elephantine Island
• Unfinished Obelisk
• Kitchener Island
7. Marsa AlamWhile Sharm El Sheikh is a popular resort usually bustling with tourists, Marsa Alam is a quite alternative to those crowded venues. Just a few hours’ drive from the metropolis, the place offers some of the excellent dive spots for underwater exploration.
Here are some of the places worth visiting at the Marsa Alam
• Sha’ab Samadai
• Rocky Island
• Sha’ab Sharm
Marsa Alam for Underwater Exploration
Here are some honorable mentions• Dahab
• Al Kharga
Egypt is a fascinating country, filled with interesting venues and cities. While exploring the best places to visit in Egypt, remember to soak in the local culture and heritage. It can make your experience in this historical city – memorable.
Although the country is a bit conservative in its values and customs, the people here are warm and friendly. They offer love, tea, and an addictive look at the life that can change your perspective over a lot of things.